Wednesday 16 July 2014

Legend - Marie Lu

I just finished this book this week and it is one of my favourites this year. 


It is a dystopian. It follows a criminal called Day, who is the most wanted criminal in the area. It also follows a girl called June, who is very privileged and scored a perfect score on the trial all the ten year olds have to take. 

Very early in the book Day does something causing June to be set on his trail. The book follows the two of them each going for a target. June's target is Day and Day's target is a cure for his ill brother. Day is very streetwise and lives on the street, he has his own ways of surviving and I personally loved his character. June is trained to do anything, she is very intelligent and notices small things other people wouldn't see. 
There is a lot of twists and turns and the 'government' is very interesting. You learn a lot about them as the story goes on and although the government having secrets has been done lots before, this time it isn't predictable stuff. I was left shocked a lot throughout the whole book. 

It is the first book in a trilogy so a lot of this book is setting it up and giving you a good vibe of the characters. Marie Lu does this very well and I feel like I know these characters better than others from longer books. 

It says on the front 'for fans of The Hunger Games'. I don't think this is necessarily true unless liking a dystopian means you will like all dystopians. I personally couldn't see any connections between the two. Also on the back it says it is a retelling of Les Mis. I, again, couldn't see the connection but I am very excited about seeing the connection in the coming books. I think if it is a retelling it is a very original version. 

Let me know what you thought of this book. I have already ordered the second one, Prodigy, which is at a very good prices of £3.49 on the book people at the moment if anyone is interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment